[Ads-l] Quote: Two necessities in doing a great and important work: A definite plan and limited time

Wed Aug 19 15:13:30 UTC 2020

A correspondent asked me to explore the following quotation which is
often attributed to composer Leonard Bernstein:

To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite
enough time.

There was no substantive evidence supporting the ascription to
Bernstein. I hypothesize that the statement evolved from a remark
crafted by aphorist Elbert Hubbard in 1911 which is displayed in the
subject line of this message.

Here is a link to the QI article:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/08/19/plan-time/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to an anonymous individual who read an interview with
video game executive Randy Pitchford who attributed the saying to
Leonard Bernstein. The resultant inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Thanks to Barry Popik for his
helpful research on this topic. Popik located a 1953 citation for the
saying and a 2011 attribution to Bernstein.
[End acknowledgment]

Garson