[Ads-l] "If a tree falls..."

Sun Aug 23 13:27:46 UTC 2020

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Great finds.
>
> Was "philosopher" still likely to cover "scientist" in 1849?

Yes, I think so. Here is one datapoint. In July 1849 a person named
"Arago" was described as a "French philosopher". The referent was
probably François Arago who by modern terminology would be called a
scientist.

Date: July 1849
Journal: The Genesee Farmer
https://books.google.com/books?id=jHMXAQAAIAAJ&q=Arago#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
Arago, a French philosopher says, that it is highly probable that a
silent and gradual discharge of a thunder-cloud is often effected by
the points of lightning-rods, and thus an explosion is prevented.
[End excerpt]

François Arago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Arago

Garson