[Ads-l] sarcastic "You're welcome."

Sun Aug 23 01:16:02 UTC 2020

Below is a 2010 example in which "You're Welcome" was employed with
great hostility.

Michael Arrington, who founded TechCrunch, was asked to publish a
piece about a forthcoming book covering Facebook. He was supposed to
link to an article containing book excerpts located on the Fortune.com
website. Arrington thought he was supposed to copy the excerpts, but
the managing editor of Fortune.com became angry and told Arrington
that he was not supposed to copy the excerpts. He was only supposed to
use excerpts from the excerpts. A lawsuit was threatened.

Arrington responded by writing an article titled "You're Welcome, You Bastards".

Website: TechCrunch
Article: Title: You're Welcome, You Bastards
Article Author: Michael Arrington
Article Date: May 13, 2010
Article: Timestamp: 3:19 pm EDT

https://techcrunch.com/2010/05/13/youre-welcome-you-bastards/

[Begin excerpt]
A week ago we posted two excerpts from Fortune columnist David
Kirkpatrick’s new book The Facebook Effect. We’re big fans of
Kirkpatrick and have been following his book progress since last year.
When Fortune’s PR department called to ask us to print the excerpts,
we quickly agreed.
. . .
Pure, unadulterated stupidity.

The next time someone asks us for a favor, we’re less likely to do it
given how this turned out. Hopefully, if you’re the one asking, you’ll
understand. I want to help you, really, but you may just be too stupid
to accept it without threatening to sue me later. You’ll understand,
I’m sure. Right?
[End excerpt]

Garson