[Ads-l] Latinx

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 24 15:59:39 UTC 2020

For decades I was paid by a large university in a popular state to be an
arbiter of style, at least some of the time.

But on to larger things.

As for those studies so often alleged to show the power of grammatical
gender to direct how we think and live, consider this recent statement:

"[A]part from a strong version, which assumes that language strictly
determines thinking and that language categories limit and determine
cognitive categories, there is a weaker version of the linguistic
relativity _hypothesis_ [emphasis added], which states that language
influences cognitive processes only under certain circumstances, especially
in tasks where grammatical coding is necessary."

----  J. Maciuzek, Mateusz Polak, Natalia Swiatowska, "Grammatical Gender
Influences Semantic Categorization and Implicit Cognition in Polish."
(2019).  https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02208/full

After more than 80 years, Whorf-Sapir, stronger and weaker, seems to remain
a hypothesis, despite all those musings about "Eskimo words for snow." And
discussions of it usually treat structures more likely to influence
consequential thought than the grammatical gender of (emphasis here:)
occasional foreign words adopted into English.

Seriously, is there any study that shows that imported grammatical
gendering powerfully influences how we think, what we pay, who we hire, who
goes to good schools, who marries who, or anything else of public
significance?  Or are claims of such subtle yet powerful influencing a kind
of wishful thinking?  If they're true,  powerless academics with esoteric
degrees scorned by millions can fight them almost effortlessly and feel
superior while (unfortunately) accomplishing next to nothing, and on
questionable premises.

And do I detect a sad, unexamined assumption (unworthy of linguists) that
one's dislike of a _word_ (like {Latin@}, which is orthographically a bit
worse than {Latinx}), must extend invidiously to the word's _human
referents_?   I hope not.  My objections to {Latinx} are that it looks and
sounds like a gimmick (or a cleaning product or a tissue paper for the
nose), is impossible to pronounce correctly without special instruction,
and has at least one less tendentious, more readily comprehensible synonym
at hand.

Finally, it's surprising to see, in this forum, how confidently a jaunty
statement of opinion, secondary to the report of an interesting neologism,
can be misinterpreted as a flagrant assertion of a refutable fact.

JL