[Ads-l] Further Antedating of "Euchre"

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 25 00:32:27 UTC 2020

Yuca? Which gets us to cassava via “euphorbiacea”

*Manihot esculenta*, commonly called
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_name>*cassava* (/kəˈsɑːvə/
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/English>), *manioc*,[2]
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava#cite_note-GRIN-2> *yuca*,
*macaxeira*, *mandioca*, *aipim*, and *agbeli*, is a woody shrub
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrub> native to South America of the
spurge <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurge> family, Euphorbiaceae
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbiaceae>.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 7:20 PM MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC
AVMC (USA) <0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> >  In Newspapers.com, the advertisement mentioning "Ucre" appears as early
> as the Tennessean, Jan. 9, 1836.
>

> I'm not surprised; when I found the "ucre" I previously mentioned, it was
> a side-effect of looking for early US manufacturers of playing cards.  I
> noted the 4/19/1836 date without trying to see if anything earlier was
> possible.
>
> (And although Newspapers.com indexes the paper as "The Tennessean", the
> actual title of the paper from which these cites come is _Nashville
> Republican_.  I suspect that the title changed at some point, or the
> Tennessean bought the Republican.)
>

> > I see furthermore that "eucre" appears in the Arkansas Times and
> Advocate, 25 Dec. 1835 (Newspapers.com).
>
> > Naturally, Barry Popik has been there already and clipped that article.
>

> In my original post, I linked to an ADS-L Archive post the subject of
> which is "eucre (card game) antedated to 1837".  I tried to read it, but at
> that time the Archive was momentarily down.  So I assumed the 1837 date in
> the title was correct.  I just re-checked it, and the subject line is a
> typo -- the text of the message refers to and quotes a July 8, 1835
> citation, slightly beating Barry's date.
>

> But these can be substantially antedated:
>

> 1814 _Lancaster [PA] Intelligencer_ Mar 25 1/4 [newspapers.com,
> advertisement]
>
> "James Y. Humphreys,
>
> Card Manufacturer,
>
> No. 61, South Second street, Philadelphia,
>
> successor to Thomas DeSilver,
>
> has constantly for sale,
>
> Eagle, Eucre, Harry VIII. Merry Andrew, Com-
>
> mon and French, and Spanish
>
> Playing Cards"
>

> And, while looking for the above, I found a completely different sense of
> "euchre," one not noted in the OED:
>

> 1830 _The Southern Agriculturist_ Sept p. 502
>
> "After breakfast, in looking round the place, we perceived seventy or
> eighty bushels of euchre, just dug from about a quarter of an acre, grown
> from slips in seven months . . . It is a species of cassavi or cassada."
>
> [This appears to be a quotation from "Abbott's Cuba"; I can't figure out
> what the referent is.]
>

> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101050722279&view=1up&seq=430&q1=euchre
>

> 1831 _The Southern Agriculturist_ Apr pp. 189-190
>
> "I send you a specimen of the euchre plant -- you will perceive the
> horizontal piece is the original plant -- the vertical, the stock -- and
> the fibres produces the potatoe or root."
>

> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101050722261&view=1up&seq=211&q1=euchre

> --
Andy Bach
Afbach at gmail.com