[Ads-l] "disappear" as a transitive verb

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Aug 28 22:57:05 UTC 2020

Septimus Piesse _Chymical, natural and physical magic: intended for the instruction and entertainment of juveniles during the holiday vacation_ 3rd Edition.  London:  Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, & Green, 1865.  p. 94

"At the theatres these tables are sometimes set close up to a side scene, so that the person 'disappeared,' can be drawn out of the hiding-place, and hurried to a private box, where he fires off a pistol to denote his presence."

I'll note that transitive "disappear" is common in the conjuring literature -- magicians disappear things all the time.

----