[Ads-l] to truth-tell

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 2 21:05:34 UTC 2020

> On Dec 2, 2020, at 3:34 PM, Baker, John <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
>
> No verb “to truth”?  What, was Nancy Sinatra (or, actually, Lee Hazlewood, her lyricist) committing a neologism when she sang, “You keep lying, when you oughta be truthin'”?  (In These Boots Are Made for Walkin’ (1965), for those who don’t recognize the lyric.)

Yup, I recall.  And yes, neologizing—helped along by syntagmatic priming (as you also note below), as with other innovative formations (“unX” verbs primed by “X” verbs, “-ee” nominals primed by nearby -er agentives, etc.)

A nice example of the former is “unprovoke”.  The sole cite in the OED:

PORTER. Drink, sir, is a great provoker of three things...nose-painting, sleep, and urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance.

—Macbeth II.iii

Other instances of primed unverbs, none of which are likely to occur unprimed:

unask

Josh:       You should come over later.
Donna:    That’s sweet, but I can’t.
Josh:       I thought the twitchy chick from Treasury was in at your place.
Donna:    She is.  So I asked CJ if I could stay with her.
Josh:       So unask.
—exchange on “The West Wing”, 9 April 2006

unaccept

“We can’t make it”, Sam said flatly.
“But I’ve already accepted...I know I should have checked with you first, but by accident somehow I just went ahead and accepted.”
“Well then”, he said, “you’ll just have to call her back and unaccept.”
         —Anne Tyler (1995), Ladder of Tears, p. 22

unhurt

Nana:     “You know, love is messy.”
Dan:       “I should know better. I hurt my kids.”
Nana:     “Well, unhurt them.”
         —Dan in Real Life, 2007 movie

unpinch

She pinches and unpinches a crease in her lower lip.
         —James Hynes (2010), Next (a novel); note that (un)pinch is telic here

unnotice

 “I tried to ignore it, the staring, but ever since Christmas, with the guitar, and the singing and the stolen looks, well, I noticed it, and I can’t…unnotice it.”
—Dr. Arizona Robbins to Dr. Teddy Altman, “Grey’s Anatomy”, March 4, 2009

unsave

I saved your life, I’d be happy to unsave it.
            —House to Cuddy’s mother, “House”, 2 May 2011