[Ads-l] help with a literary (?) allusion

Sun Dec 6 06:13:21 UTC 2020

Here is a link to the pertinent 1845 issue of "Punch".

Date: January 1845
Periodical: Punch
Volume 8
Almanac for 1845

https://books.google.com/books?id=kJNEAAAAcAAJ&q=%22marry+don%27t%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
       WORTHY OF ATTENTION.
ADVICE TO PERSONS ABOUT TO MARRY,--Don't.
[End excerpt]

Here is a 1900 book that claims the quip is "one which is the best known".

Year: 1900
Title: A Peep Into "Punch"
Author: John Holt Schooling

https://books.google.com/books?id=Sz5HAQAAMAAJ&q=+%22marry%2C+Don%27t%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
By the way, speaking of Mr. Punch's jokes which have become classic,
the one which is the best known is the following :--

Worthy OF ATTENTION.
Advice to persons about to marry--don't!

This famous mot appeared in Punch's Almanac for 1845.
[End excerpt]

Garson