[Ads-l] Racist origins of "Grandfathering"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 18 18:48:29 UTC 2020

"Lisa Luten, a district spokeswoman, said that Wake will drop the use of the word "grandfathering" because it's not inclusive.
"We aim to use inclusive language in our communications," Luten said in an email to the News & Observer. "This word is not inclusive. It's really that simple.”

It’s also not inclusive of grandmothers.  I’ve heard (and used) “grandparent(ed) (in)” as the relevant verb (participle), but that clearly doesn’t solve the consideration addressed here.  Is there a proposed substitute?

--LH, who’s only been able to literally grandfather for 2.5 years, much of them curtailed by the pandemic