[Ads-l] "War is months of boredom..."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 26 20:09:42 UTC 2020

This is now a well-known proverb, usually in the form "months of
boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror."

 London Times (Nov. 4, 1914), Sec. II, p. 5:

“THE BAPTISM OF FIRE — CAVALRY SUBALTERN’S VIVID EXPERIENCE…Some one
described this war as ‘Months of boredom punctuated by moments of terror.’”

Daily Advocate (Stamford, Conn.) (Dec. 9, 1914), p. 5:

“LONDON….The following…account of the war was written by Lieut. H. O. Anne,
of the Royal Field Artillery: … ‘One of our officers, after the South
African War [1899–1902] described war as a period of intense discomfort
punctuated by moments of abject terror.’”

JL