[Ads-l] New Sense of the Noun "Primary"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 13 11:46:58 UTC 2020

This usage might not be so new after all. Back in Dec. 1983, Walter Mondale
said, "This is one of the sweetest primaries there's ever been" -- by which
he meant one of the sweetest primary *seasons* ever.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/12/26/us/an-interview-with-former-vice-president-walter-f-mondale.html

Mondale reiterated the point in Feb. 1984: "Up until now, we've had the
sweetest primary in history."

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/44154246/sweetest_primary/

--bgz