[Ads-l] Quote: Cary Grant telegram anecdote - update

Wed Jan 1 23:30:51 UTC 2020

Ben Zimmer has a great article, "The Legend of Cary Grant's Telegram",
at the Visual Thesaurus website:
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/2159/

I wrote a QI article on this topic back in 2010, and I made related
posts to this mailing list in 2010 and 2011. Nether Ben nor I were
able to search 1957 issues of the "Minneapolis Tribune" although we
knew that it probably contained a pertinent article because the
newspaper had not been digitized in 2010.

Today, a correspondent let me know that he had located the pertinent
article in the now digitized "Minneapolis Tribune". The QI article has
been updated.

“How Old Cary Grant?” “Old Cary Grant Fine, How You?”
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/10/30/how-old-cary-grant/

Here is the citation information.

[ref] 1957 September 22, Minneapolis Sunday Tribune (Minneapolis
Tribune), Section: Upper Midwest and Peach Sports, Almanac: Wire You
So Anxious to Know?, Quote Page 1, Column 1, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
(Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Our Favorite Crusty Old Newspaperman, who has worked all over the
world, has one pet hate. It is editors who don’t bother to check handy
reference sources but instead wire last-minute queries to far-flung
reporters.

Some years ago, our F.C.O.N. was covering a Florida speedboat race in
which the famous Gar Wood was participating. Our boy had already filed
his story, but late at night, he got a telegram from his editor that
read: "How old Gar Wood?"
[End excerpt]

Garson