[Ads-l] Heard in a police documentary

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 8 10:09:52 UTC 2020

A cop is describing what happened at the end of an interrogation:

"At first, he was answering all of my questions. Then he shined me _off_
and asked for a lawyer."

The proper form is "... shined me _on_," as in the title of the 1963
recording, _Don't Shine Me On_. Cf. http://www.45cat.com/record/nc861003us.
To _shine ... on_ is to "brush ... off." Perhaps the detective crossed the
beginning of one expression with the ending of the other.
If you Google _shine ... on_, you'll find a plethora of definitions.
Fortunately, the original meaning can be found by digging the two-sided,
original jam at
http://www.45cat.com/record/nc861003us
                                                   A. Frankie & The Del
Stars Don't Shine Me On (Part 1)
 B. Frankie & The Del Stars Don't Shine Me On (Part 2)
--
-Wilson
-----