[Ads-l] Quote: All comedy is tragedy, if you only look deep enough into it. Thomas Hardy, April 14, 1889

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 14 17:33:54 UTC 2020

I’ve always been partial to this one, which I first learned as an undergraduate:

“Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel”
—Horace Walpole

I just confirmed the attribution on wikipedia, which provides several similar forms (https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Horace_Walpole).  I prefer the asyndetic semicolon or comma version to the one with the overt “and”.  Apparently Jean de la Bruyère promoted a slightly different (French) version, with the same two observations presented in the opposite order.  I prefer Walpole’s order.

LH