[Ads-l] "X sucks" in the East Village Other

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 19 06:01:39 UTC 2020

Green's Dictionary of Slang has "suck eggs" back to 1903:

https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/negmwcy

It's one of several pejorative constructions that use "suck" as a
transitive verb (e.g., "suck wind," "suck rope," "suck the hind teat"). As
Ron Butters explains in his 2001 article for _Dictionaries_, these were all
precursors to the use of intransitive "suck" starting in the mid-'60s.

https://www.academia.edu/8182369/We_didnt_realize_that_lite_beer_was_supposed_to_suck_The_Putative_Vulgarity_of_X_sucks_in_American_English