[Ads-l] monkey in the middle (1952)

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 27 05:51:46 UTC 2020

I do not like the memories this brings up in me.

I knew the expression all too well as a schoolboy in New York in the 1960s.
After school some of my classmates would play this "game" (also called
"keep-away") with my hat or other possession snatched from me, yelling
"Monkey in the middle!" as they threw my property to each other over my
head and I ran frantically between them, trying in vain to reach one of
them before they could throw it out of my reach.

MAM