[Ads-l] It isn't about the money

Sun Jul 12 21:21:37 UTC 2020

Excellent topic and citations, JL. Great citation, Fred. Following
this lead I found that Kin Hubbard published the quip in his
syndicated column "Abe Martin" in 1916.

Date: November 24, 1916
Newspaper: Franklin Evening News
Newspaper Location: Franklin, Pennsylvania
Article: Abe Martin
Syndicate: National Newspaper Service
Quote Page 4, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/55235678/haintthmoney/

[Begin excerpt]
When a feller says: "It hain't th' money, but th' principle o' th'
thing," it's th' money.
[End excerpt]

In 1999 Dale Bumpers, former Arkansas senator, attributed the saying
to H.L. Mencken, but I have not yet found any support for that
attribution.

[ref] Website: CNN, Article title: Transcript: Former Sen. Dale
Bumpers, Date on website: January 21, 1999, Website description: World
news website for cable television channel. (Accessed cnn.com on July
12, 2020) link [/ref]

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/01/21/transcripts/bumpers.html

[Begin excerpt]
It was a breach of his family trust It is a sex scandal. H.L. Mencken
said one time, "When you hear somebody say, 'This is not about money,'
it's about money."
(LAUGHTER)
And when you hear somebody say, "This is not about sex," it's about sex.
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com