[Ads-l] /hw/ vs. /w/ (was: Re: which)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 13 16:43:51 UTC 2020

> Hence: "Wye, no!  Hway would you think that?"

Exactly so.

> I don't hear ~hw for any words starting with "wh" ever. Is it an American
dialect  anywhere?

It all depends on where you live. Until I had the misfortune to live in
Boston, I had no idea that the /r/ in _thr+vowel_ words, as in "thrust,"
could be - not _would be_ - pronounced as a shwa-like vowel instead of as a
clearly Spanish-like trilled consonant: thur-ust and not thrrust. After
over thirty years in the greater Boston area, I had to relearn how to
pronounce _thrV_ the "right" way.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain