[Ads-l] Ever pondered this question?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 14 19:09:34 UTC 2020

To the extent that any thought accompanies my opinion, it's like this.
Twenty-five or so warm bodies are the max to be expected to come to my
lecture. Afterward, a colleague asks,
Q. How'd the lecture go?
A. Not bad. Few [= 3-5] people participated in the Q&A
or
A. Not bad. Several [= 7-9] people participated in the Q&A.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 2:33 PM Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
wrote:

> Finally getting a chance to respond to this. Until Margaret and I
> discussed this I had never noticed that I had an apparently idiosyncratic
> meaning for ‘several’. I somehow picked up that it meant ‘two’. Thus, ‘a
> few’ was generally more than ‘several’. I even had my own folk etymology—if
> you cut something in half, you ‘severed’ it…
>
> I’m not making this up. But at some point, apparently I did.
>
> To quote Wilson, ‘you never know…’
>
> Geoff
>
> Geoffrey S. Nathan
> WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
> Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
> http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
> geoffnathan at wayne.edu

-Wilson