[Ads-l] break a leg

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 15 18:43:04 UTC 2020

Or 'become pregnant or bear a child out of wedlock, esp. during a
successful theatrical performance'?

Actually, the two idioms differ in this respect, since "She got her leg
broken" can't be understood as referring to a performance, as opposed to a
pre-performance "Break a leg!"  I'm not even sure I could report "I told
her to break a leg, and she did" to mean she did well on stage, given the
frozenness of the idiom.

LH