[Ads-l] break a leg

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 15 20:29:10 UTC 2020

The sentence is lexically ambiguous, but it's unlikely to assume, as Hall
seems to, that an unidentified person broke the woman's leg, and that it
was "mischief" of a sort that would arouse his curiosity.

The idiom is attested earlier in England and later in the U.S. "A Word-List
from Alabama,"  Dialect Notes, 1909, p. 294: "Break one's leg...Of a woman,
to become with child illegitimately."

JL