[Ads-l] Family of sayings: The lay-offs / firings / floggings/ beatings will continue until morale improves

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 19 01:01:23 UTC 2020

> Mais dans ce pays-ci* il est bon de tuer de tems en tems un Amiral pour
> encourager les autres.*

> But in this country *it is good to kill an Admiral from time to time to
> encourage the others.*

Somehow, this is reminiscent of the Roman military custom of _decimatio_,
the American military custom of punishing an entire platoon for a failure
by one of its members, and the former Southern custom of whipping the
laggards, if they didn't keep up with the leaders, and whipping the
leaders, if they allowed the laggards to keep up with them.

These tactics bring out the best in one's underlings.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain