[Ads-l] Antedating of "Apartheid"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 19 01:30:57 UTC 2020

Ah, so it is—laxly indeed.  As I said, it’s not the only pronunciation, but it’s the one I heard most often, from both lax and tense folks (mostly in the 1970s and '80s, during discussions in the news and universities about the policy).  Still, if I hadn’t missed that, I wouldn’t have been forced to imagine a cigar tide, so it was worth it.