[Ads-l] "social distancing" 2015

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 20 15:45:57 UTC 2020

The expression appears with the relevant sence in Homelad Security's National Response Plan written in December 2004, published 2005.

HathiTrust:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951p00904134b&view=1up&seq=357<https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951p00904134b&view=1up&seq=357&q1=Social%20distancing>
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Bill Mullins <amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 8:28:52 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: "social distancing" 2015

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Bill Mullins <amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM>

Phrase presciently used in science fiction, 2015.

Naomi Kritzer "So Much Cooking"  _Clarkesworld_ [online SF magazine] Nov 20=
15
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kritzer_11_15/

"Probably wherever you live you=92re hearing about 'social distancing,' whi=
ch in most places means 'we=92re going to shut down the schools and movie t=
heaters and other places where folks might gather, stagger work hours to mi=
nimize crowding, and instruct everyone to wear face masks and not stand too=
 close to each other when they=92re waiting in lines.' "

The phrase starts showing up in the newspaper databases in the 1980s or so,=
 but nearly always mean avoiding any interaction with groups not one's own.=
  The above is the first I've seen that focusses on keeping physical distan=
ce between people.