[Ads-l] =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CDixie=E2=80=9D_?=in the New Yorker

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 24 15:37:42 UTC 2020

>  the claim that D. D. Emmett was necessarily the first to use the word
"Dixie" in reference to the south, is, at least, less than a given.

Strictly this is true.  But I think the larger question is whether any
person, or ten thousand persons, randomly chosen from the U.S. population,
was in any degree likely to have heard the word in this sense before 1859,
and I think the answer is no.  Every indication is that "Dixie = the South"
was "introduced into the language" by Emmett and his song. Over thirty
million people alive in 1858 lived long and productive lives in ignorance
of it.

JL