[Ads-l] Misnegation: "lack of impunity"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 25 01:18:26 UTC 2020

> On Jul 24, 2020, at 8:31 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I noticed this too.
>
> I also thought her use of "accost" was a little odd, as it apparently
> included the idea of speaking insultingly.
>
> JL

Hmmm.  Unlike the hypernegation, that didn’t strike me as odd. I don’t have OED at the moment, but AHD has for “accost”:

1. To approach and speak to, especially aggressively or insistently, as with a demand or request.
2. To approach and speak to with the intent of having sex.

(2) clearly didn’t apply to Rep. Yoho but (1) seems accurate enough for the incident as Rep. Ocasio Cortez describes it, even in the absence of an explicit demand or request.

LH