[Ads-l] That "words ending in -gry" puzzle (early-ish sighting, 1974)

Thu Jul 30 18:14:11 UTC 2020

James Landau wrote:
> More on the -gry question can be found at
> http://www.quinion.com/words/articles/gry.htm
> and at  http://www.tempe.gov/library/netsites/gry.htm.
>
> Note: both Websites cited in the last sentence appear to be out of date.

Off-list I was asked to help find the information that once resided at
the following two URLs which are currently non-functional.

http://www.quinion.com/words/articles/gry.htm
http://www.tempe.gov/library/netsites/gry.htm

Perhaps the following discussion will be helpful to some list members.
One strategy to learn more about the first URL involves truncation. If
one visits the truncated address quinion.com one finds the website of
researcher Michael Quinion. Clicking on the WORLD WIDE WORDS graphic
takes one to www.worldwidewords.org. Typing "gry" into the search box
on the right produces a few search results. Clicking on "I Spy Gry! -
World Wide Words" takes one to:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/gry.htm

I believe the webpage above contains the desired information.

Another strategy to learn more about the second URL involves
consulting the Internet Archive Way Back Machine located here:
https://archive.org/web/

Place the target URL into the search slot and click "browse history":
http://www.tempe.gov/library/netsites/gry.htm

Now click on some year pick, say 2004. Next pick some day from the
calendar display and click on the timestamp. You will be shown a
snapshot of the webpage contents obtained on the day specified. Here
is an example. The following is a single URL although it looks
strange:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040611101446/http://www.tempe.gov/library/netsites/gry.htm

Garson