[Ads-l] obscene slang on TV

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 1 21:05:54 UTC 2020

> I looked over the lyrics and don't see anything about this song to think
> it is anything other than a literal "string of pearls."

There's nothing special about the lyrics because my reference is to the
original version, which had no lyrics, being fully instrumental. Indeed, it
was this very lack of lyrics that made it possible for this gross obscenity
to get a wink and a nod from the censors and be accorded airplay, in any
case. It was the great popularity of the original version that inspired the
writing of innocuous lyrics to give the jam second round of popularity
among those who had found the version leaving everything to the imagination
simply too disgusting to deal with.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 4:34 PM Bill Mullins <amcombill at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> FWIW, ZZ Top released the song "Pearl Necklace" in 1981.
>
> > In addition, there was the double-entendre, "A String of Pearls,"
> released
> > by Glenn Miller in 1941. It reached no.1 on Billboard.
>
> You've got a dirty mind <G>.
> Seriously, I looked over the lyrics and don't see anything about this song
> to think
> it is anything other than a literal "string of pearls".

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain