[Ads-l] Antedating of "Emmy"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 4 00:32:54 UTC 2020

Coincidentally(?) there were recurring characters in the comic strip Moon Mullins named Uncle Oscar and Aunt Emmy.  No suggestion of an actual connection, but interesting.

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2019/02/envelope-please-unwrapping-oscars.html<https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2019/02/envelope-please-unwrapping-oscars.html?m=1>
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Bill Mullins <amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 1:58:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Antedating of "Emmy"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Bill Mullins <amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM>

They were almost called "Ikes".

_Variety_ 19 Feb 1947 p 28 col 2
"Idea for the Academy awards, to be known as 'Ikes' (trade name for Iconosc=
ope), was the suggest of Patrick Michael Cumming of the Bergen-Cumming stud=
ios."

----

Since the origins of "Oscar" and "Hugo" have been discussed on this list, I=
 thought I should look into "Emmy."  See below for an antedating.

Emmy (OED 1949)
1948 _Billboard_ 4 Dec. 12/3 (ProQuest)  First video film competition to be=
 sponsored locally will be backed by the Coast's Academy of Television Arts=
 and Sciences (ATAS). Winner of "the best film made for television" will be=
 awarded an Emmy statuette, patterned after the famed Oscar, Motion Picture=
 Academy award.

Fred Shapiro