[Ads-l] boi

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Jun 11 10:31:41 UTC 2020

I’ve done a little digging, but my ‘corpus fu’ search skills are primitive.
My memory is seeing it first with reference to Apple products,
and COCA has references from 2012. Not sure when it moved out
of the computing realm to the wider one, and I’d be surprised
if it’s used solely as a self-reference. However, weirder things have happened,
such as the change in the semantics the OK symbol from images of a French chef:

https://bit.ly/30t4DJX

to an Alt-Right covert signal.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu

From: Stanton McCandlish<mailto:smccandlish at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:34 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: boi

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Stanton McCandlish <smccandlish at GMAIL.COM>

*Boi* has been frequent in the expression *fanboi* since at least the early
2000s, and seems to be an Engrish coinage via the otaku route.  The female
equivalent seems to be *gyaru* ('girl'), but doesn't have much currency,
probably owing to its comparative awkwardness.  It's weird to see *boi* get
picked up by a probably racist group of "militia" types.

--
Stanton McCandlish
McCandlish Consulting

+1 415 234 3992

https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish

"The capacity to produce social chaos is the last resort of desperate
people."
=E2=80=94Cornel West, author and philosopher (1953=E2=80=93)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
=E2=80=94Isaac Asimov, biochemist and science-fiction writer (1920=E2=80=93=
1992)