[Ads-l] weird "which"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 23 17:44:14 UTC 2020

This one is harder to deal with than other wicked “witch”es because of the garden path—the “which” seems at first to want to be an old-fashioned relative pronoun (cf. “which nine out of ten women said made their hair appear thicker...”) until that parsing eventually self-destructs.  Other cases don’t yield a similar garden path, or at least not such a prolonged one.

LH