[Ads-l] weird "which"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 24 04:34:28 UTC 2020

> Weird to me

To me, too. This sort of thing is common among  BE-speakers speaking ad-lib
on The Jerry Springer Show. But it galls me that there are people getting
paid to change standard English in ways of which I do not approve. The
voice-overer who advises people to "_ex-cape_ to Las Vegas!" is at least as
annoying.

On a different, but slight-similar note, I heard a mid-twenty-ish black man
say,

"I BIN telling y'all this from _the first beginning_!"

Here, what is of interest is the phrase, "the first beginning." Hearing it
was like running across an old friend from behind the sun. Educators of all
races, creeds, and colors have been attempting to teach little colored
chirren that "the first beginning" is an awkward, useless redundancy at
least since I was in the first grade, back in 1942. Despite Sister Claire
Marie's best efforts, story-tellers inevitably opened with, "In the first
beginning, ..."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Injunctions_Given_by_the_Most_Excellent
"Also, Like as the People be commonly occupied the work-day, with bodily
labour, for their bodily sustenance, so was the holi-day at _the first
beginning_ godly instituted and ordained, that the people should that day
give themselves wholly to God."
- Injunctions given by the most excellent Prince, Edward VI.
London: Richard Grafton, MDXLVII

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 5:55 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Weird to me, anyway, especially in a pricey, presumably carefully edited TV
> commercial for a glamour hair product:
>
> "Including a full-size leave-in elixir which nine out of ten women said
> their hair appeared thicker and fuller in just one week!"
>
> JL
>
> --

-Wilson
-----