[Ads-l] Garbage language, corporate-speak, bloated business jargon

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 4 20:26:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 2:01 PM Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read the language differently. The reference to "parallel-path"
> recognizes that there is a process to producing a formal document, and the
> request is to push both versions through the process. It's more complicated
> than "produce two versions".
>
> When life is complicated, sometimes simple language is less clear.
>
> DanG

Yes, it is more complicated, and I think that's implied; and yes, simple
language can be less clear, and I suspect that the gobbledygook was indeed
clear. The writer added something to the quoted request, possibly though
not certainly through knowledge of corporatese or office customs: namely,
*simultaneity*, which "parallel-path" strongly suggests.

Translated, this means: “We’re waiting on specs for the San Francisco
installation. Can you make two versions?” In other words, to
“parallel-path” is *to do two things at once*. That’s all.
<<<<<

MAM