[Ads-l] "whisperlow"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 4 21:47:10 UTC 2020

An item from 1927 claims that, "'Whisper-Low' for speakeasy [was] coined
by Abel Green, who records the Street for Variety."

Bakersfield Morning Echo (Bakersfield, California), February 15, 1927,
page 4.

"Whisper Low", as a speakeasy, appears in Variety at least as early as
March 31, 1926, and a number of times afterward.

"67 Speakeasies on One Side St. Between B'way and River - in Times
Square. A speak-easy tourist and admittedly expert on whisper-low
joints, has checked up on 67 known booze dispensaries on one Times
Square side street between Broadway and the Hudson River."

Variety, March 31, 1926.

I've written previously about "speak softly shop" that dates to at least
the 1820s, but have never run across Whisper-Low before.

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2014/08/liquor-licenses-steelworkers-and.html

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2014/12/speakeasy-update-antedating-speak-easy.html