[Ads-l] skinback

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 07:37:37 UTC 2020

High-school-boy, minor-insult catch-phrase, ca, 1951, heretofore my only
acquaintance with the concept of skinning anything back..

"Do me like a banana: skin me back and eat me!"

Speaking of "arcane," not long ago, I read somewhere that the pronunciation
of _wh-_ as voiceless [hw-], instead of as voiced [w-], has now become
"archaic."

I could well be one of the last native-speakers!

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 6:30 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Honestly, Wilson.  It clearly means "walkback" or (early ModE)
> "retraction."
>
> Next thing, you'll be using dated, arcane phrases like "short-arm."
>
> JL
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 5:53 PM Andy Bach <afbach at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > "It is inconceivable to me that minutes after an Oval Office address
> >
> > I don't think that word means what you think it does.  Alas, far too
> > conceivable.
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 6:31 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > David Axelrod on CNN:
> > >
> > > "It is inconceivable to me that minutes after an Oval Office address in
> > the
> > > midst of a major crisis, that [sic] you have to engage in a series of
> > > skinbacks to correct what the nation just heard."
> > >
> > > Etymological comment gratuitous?
> > >
> > > JL
> > > --
> > > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
> > truth."

> > --

> > Andy Bach,
> > afbach at gmail.com