[Ads-l] skinback

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 17:38:11 UTC 2020

. "... peeling back your skin and feeling the pain."

There's no pain involved in skinning it back.<har!har!>

Can it truly be the case that journalists see no immediate connection
between the term, "skinback," as in the retraction of a premise and the
phrase, "skinning it back," as in the retraction of the foreskin? And "as
in peeling back your skin and feeling the pain" is actually meant to be
taken literally? There are actually (white?) people who peel back
their skin and feel the pain?

Clearly, the Cotton Curtain was more impermeable than the Iron Curtain!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 7:46 AM Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, here's a journalistic usage:
>

> https://www.reuters.com/article/column-dcjohnston-murdoch/column-how-i-misread-news-corps-taxes-david-cay-johnston-idUSN1E76C25320110713
> David Cay Johnston (July 13, 2011): "For the first time in my 45-year-old
> career I am writing a skinback. That is what journalists call a retraction
> of the premise of a piece, as in peeling back your skin and feeling the
> pain."
>

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 6:30 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Honestly, Wilson.  It clearly means "walkback" or (early ModE)
> > "retraction."
> >
> > Next thing, you'll be using dated, arcane phrases like "short-arm."
> >
> > JL

> > > I don't think that word means what you think it does.  Alas, far too
> > > conceivable.
> > >
> > > On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 6:31 AM Jonathan Lighter <
> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com

> in
> > > the

-Wilson