[Ads-l] Antedatings of "friendly fire"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 22:45:47 UTC 2020

Another WW2 example:

1944 Cleveland Plain Dealer (June 24) 1: Two of the even bigger Douglas
Skymasters have been brought down by mistaken "friendly" fire. ...[T]he
wonder is more "mistakes" are not made.

While overlooking the occasional earlier occurrences of _friendly fire_,
Earl R. Anderson concludes (as did I, supra) that Bryan's book did more
than anything else to lexicalize the phrase in the fratricidal nuance:

2017 E. R. Anderson _Friendly Fire in  the Literature of War_  (Jefferson,
N.C.: McFarland)  4: "It was a nameless transgression until 1976, when
journalist C.D.B. Bryan published _Friendly Fire_, an expose' of  an
administrative cover-up after the accidental death of Private. Michael
Mullen by misplaced artillery on feb. 18, 1970. "Friendly fire" progressed
from a book-title to a household word [sic] on Apr. 22, 1979, when 64
million viewers watched _Friendly Fire_, an ABC-televised movie...."

JL