[Ads-l] organically

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Mar 16 10:20:21 UTC 2020

The ɛ to ʌ change is part of the Northern Cities vowel shift:

https://bit.ly/2Qzj3m7

although I find it difficult to hear "on the hoof" despite the fact
that I live in the middle of it (Detroit). But I'll admit that when I
heard Labov talking about it many years ago, complete with recorded examples,
I had to strain to hear even those.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu

From: Wilson Gray<mailto:hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 1:50 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: organically

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

I'm impressed by then ease with which the writer was able to
back-formate _to social-distance_ from "social distance", even going so far
as to use hyphenation. Cain beat dat wit a sludge-hamma.

(Ever notice that the same people who pronounce _sledge, flesh_ as "sludge,
flush" likewise pronounce _brush, flush_ as "bresh, flesh"? OTOH, _judge_
can be either "jedge" or the hypercorrected "jurdge/jerdge"? And _much_ et
sim. can be either "moich" or the hypercorrected "murch.")

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:16 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Michael Smerconish, top pundit:
>
> "A time to slow down, social-distance, and get a hold of the situation.
> That's what the nation seems to be doing, albeit organically and ad hoc -
> not with any Federal admonition."
>
> Note also  "to social-distance."  Moreover, we shouldn't "allow our fears
> to self-actualize."
>
> JL
>

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:30 AM Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Jonathan Lighter <
> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > To do otherwise, as in outdated patriarchal-imperial prose, would be to
> > lay
> > > one's own trip on the reader, colonizing his/her mind while denying
> > her/him
> > > the freedom to think for himself/herself.
> > >

> > Well said!
> >

> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

> --

-Wilson
-----