[Ads-l] origin of the term "coronavirus"

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Mar 16 21:52:30 UTC 2020

I meant etymology/coinage.  The co- part could be for corona, but why -vid?  A blog I read, not by linguists, suggested 'seen together' but I can't say I'm convinced.

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET>
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 5:48 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: origin of the term "coronavirus"

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 1:06 PM Margaret Winters <mewinters at wayne.edu>
wrote:

> That is what I understood too.
>
> Apropos, I haven't seen a source for 'covid' that sounded plausible so
> far...  Have I missed something on the list discussion?

I'm not sure what you mean by "source", but the site that I send people to
who are confused about name of virus and name of disease is, drumroll, the
WHO:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu