[Ads-l] "bunt" (1874)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 18 21:28:40 UTC 2020

"Bunt" (v.) in the baseball sense is in OED2 from 1889, and Dickson's
Baseball Dictionary (3rd ed.) has it from 1875. Richard Hershberger brought
the July 1874 example below to my attention, and I was able to push it back
a couple of months.

---
Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago), May 14, 1874, p. 8, col. 1
McMullin "bunted" a ball to a drop at his feet, and saved his first.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/46914510/bunt/
---
Chicago Daily Tribune, July 19, 1874, p. 16, col. 1
Craver, after bunting the ball in front of the plate and reaching his base
in safety, allowed himself to be caught napping by the ever-watchful
Zettlein.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/46915348/bunt/
---

--bgz