[Ads-l] March 2020 OED updates

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sun Mar 22 23:08:00 UTC 2020

There's a new entry for "puggles", a baby echidna (spiny anteater) or platypus, with date 1992.

Melbourne Vict Australia _The Age_ 7 Nov 1986 Weekend Sect. p 28 col 2 (Newspapers.com)
(photo caption) "Right:  the naturalist himself, with spiny anteater Puggles."

anecdata (1989)
_Parade_ magazine 7 July 1949 p 8 col 3
(used as a paragraph heading in a humor column)  "ANECDATA: When Bob Hope was playing
vaudeville he used to use a gag in which he remarked: "My brother slapped Al Capone in the face."
Whereupon his stooge would say:  "Gee, he must be brave -- I'd like to shake his hand." "Sorry,"
Bob would reply, "we can't dig him up just for that." "

New Brunswick NJ _Daily Home News_ 11 Nov 1950 p 4 col 3
"It's always interesting to know how other people lived in other times and places, and T. H. White
has a real flair for anecdata as well as high erudition and a genius for story telling."

"born on third base" (Jan 1934)
Lincoln NE _Lincoln State Journal_ 20 Sep 1925  p B-6 col 7
"And others lucky in the race
win all their games about
for they are born upon third base
when there's 'nobody out' "