[Ads-l] Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am

Sat May 9 12:35:28 UTC 2020

The phrase "WHAM! BAM! THANK YOU MAM!" appeared July 1941 at the top
of an advertisement for a drugstore that was printed in an Amarillo,
Texas newspaper. The drugstore was, apparently, thanking their
customers for the rapid increase in business; hence, there was a
non-sexual rationale for employing the phrase.

Date: July 2, 1941
Newspaper: The Amarillo Globe-Times
Newspaper Location: Amarillo, Texas
Article: (Advertisement for Post Office Drug Store)
Quote Page 3, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/50563934/wambam/

[Begin excerpt]
WHAM! BAM!
THANK YOU MAM
The tremendous increase in our business is making it possible
for us  to give you still better prices.
. . .
POST OFFICE
DRUG STORE
[End excerpt]

In September 1941 the statement "bam-bam. Thank you mam, the fight was
over" was employed in the boxing domain.