[Ads-l] Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 9 19:21:57 UTC 2020

Related(?) in today’s “Next Draft” digest, the first story is:
1
WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU FAM
I've been hearing about the notion of creating a circle of trust with one
other family that you know is practicing safe six (feet of separation). But
what if the family you didn't select has hurt feelings? Or worse, what if
the family you choose just isn't that into you? Or as Amanda Coletta asks,
"What if it says it's not ready for a relationship right now, but wants you
to know you'll make another household really happy one day?" (And then
there's always the threat of one of the partnered households having a
family affair.) *WaPo*: Canadian provinces allow locked-down
<https://nextdraft.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed102783e87fee61c1a534a9d&id=f4542b95a7&e=cfa4da8138>

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 7:53 AM ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English
> (2006) pointed to an unambiguous instance of the modern sexual sense
> in a 1957 novel by Max Shulman which is available in preview mode in
> Google Books.
>
> Date 2016 (1957 Copyright)
> Novel: Rally Round the Flag, Boys!
> Author: Max Shulman
> Unnumbered Page
> Publisher: Open Road Media, New York
> Database: Google Books Preview
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> “Now tell me, after I came downstairs in this diaphanous wrapper, what
> was your plot—to hop in bed with me, hop right out again, and get home
> before Grace does? Wham, bam, thank you, ma’am?”
> “Something like that,” he mumbled.
> [End excerpt]
>
> Garson
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 8:35 AM ADSGarson O'Toole
> <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The phrase "WHAM! BAM! THANK YOU MAM!" appeared July 1941 at the top
> > of an advertisement for a drugstore that was printed in an Amarillo,
> > Texas newspaper. The drugstore was, apparently, thanking their
> > customers for the rapid increase in business; hence, there was a
> > non-sexual rationale for employing the phrase.
> >
> > Date: July 2, 1941
> > Newspaper: The Amarillo Globe-Times
> > Newspaper Location: Amarillo, Texas
> > Article: (Advertisement for Post Office Drug Store)
> > Quote Page 3, Column 1
> > Database: Newspapers.com
> > https://www.newspapers.com/clip/50563934/wambam/
> >
> > [Begin excerpt]
> > WHAM! BAM!
> > THANK YOU MAM
> > The tremendous increase in our business is making it possible
> > for us  to give you still better prices.
> > . . .
> > POST OFFICE
> > DRUG STORE
> > [End excerpt]