[Ads-l] Punchline: A thing up with which I will not put (July 31, 1941)

Tue May 19 05:56:32 UTC 2020

Thanks for your response, Benjamin. The humorous rule you listed
appears to be self-violating because it ends with a preposition:

"Never use a preposition to end up a sentence with."

The book "Dreyer's English" by Benjamin Dreyer includes comical
self-violating rules of this type:

"The passive voice is to be avoided."
"Sentence fragments. They're bad."

The family of statements under examination in the QI article have been
sufficiently twisted that they do not terminate with prepositions,
e.g.:

This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.

These two joke schemas are distinguishable. Nevertheless, your
citations are pertinent. I will update the QI article, and your help
is appreciated.

Garson