[Ads-l] "trikini" as WOTY candidate

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 19 20:30:15 UTC 2020

I tried the *People* and ABC News links that Lawrence provided. ABC
produced an error message, "This page either does not exist or is currently
unavailable", but also a search field. So I searched ABC News for "trikini"
and found the  article on a different webpage,
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Style/designer-launches-trikini-beachwear-design-complete-matching-bikini/story
(compare the earlier link,
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/style/story/designer-launches-trikini-beachwear-design-complete-matching-bikini-70657609
)
with the title "Designer launches 'trikini' beachwear design, complete with
matching bikini and mask set."

It included a 44-second video. But the video, for which I couldn't find a
separate URL, isn't about any kind of trikini. It's statically captioned on
the page, "The facekini is the bizarre beauty beach trend that has us in
awe". (The caption appears on the page as part of an image; I opened the
HTML to copy this.) And the facekini, as far as this video is concerned,
isn't a bikini or bikini-plus at all, but a full-head plastic mask, with no
matching bodywear except in the last scene, where it matches a full-body
wet suit. The sound track is music, no speech, but each static scene except
the introductory moving sequence has a caption. According to these, the
facekini is "a stylish and protective face mask popular in China" and is
"the new trend that will shield your face from the sun".

Mark Mandel