[Ads-l] Crayon pronounced dialectally as crown

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Nov 10 23:07:10 UTC 2020

Would anyone be familiar with the U.S. dialectal pronunciation of

crayon as crown?  A colleague at my university tells me her husband

was at first puzzled and then in disbelief (and mightily amused) when

he first heard her refer to a crown (crayon).  She grew up in Springfield, Missouri

(SW part of the state), as did her sister, who also says crown.  So too: the baby

sitter who took care of her way back when.

Another member of our community also says crown (crayon) and grew up

in central Missouri.

Can anyone share any information on this dialectal feature?

Gerald Cohen