[Ads-l] antedating "cloud nine" "cloud seven"

Sat Nov 14 23:50:59 UTC 2020

Congratulations on your wonderful HDAS efforts, JL.

Following your lead I searched for "cloud eight" and "cloud number
eight". Below is a pertinent match in 1929. The excerpt below concerns
Mel who was playing a card game. He believed that he had a very good
hand, and he had made a large wager. The phrase "Mel was up in Cloud
Eight" apparently meant Mel is elated. The ellipses are in the
original text.

Date: October 7, 1929
Newspaper: The Standard Union
Newspaper Location: Brooklyn, New York
Article: All Around Town
Author: Jack Hoins
Quote Page 8, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Charlie Sands, Conk, Sammy Hart, Sam Rubenstein and Harry Feeney were
in it with Mel. Sands dealt and Mel got four nines on the deal. Harry
Feeney tossed his hand in and started to "kibitz" with Mel. He told
the old guy to stand pat . . . bluff.

Then Harry advised Mel to raise the bet two or three times around ...
it got big and Mel was up in Cloud Eight ...
[End excerpt]

Below are three more matches for "cloud number eight" and "cloud eight".