[Ads-l] "to hell in a hand-barrow" interdating, 1831; was Re: New York Sunday Mercury

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 17 21:41:44 UTC 2020

I reckon the first of these was the best, given its alliterative props, until the hand-basket came along as an updated conveyance.  And come to think of it, a horse litter is at least a more spacious, if not necessarily more elegant, means of getting there than a hand-basket.