[Ads-l] "Hella" in the Bay Area Reporter, 1982-85 (was Re: Hella research inquiry)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 18 05:26:31 UTC 2020

> Pom Pons [sic]

I.e. it needs a hyphen: pom-pons. Those of a certain age may recall the
"pom-pom," a double-barreled, medium anti-aircraft gun whose barrels fired
alternately.

Wikipedia:
"The 2-pounder gun, officially designated the Q[ulck-]F[iring] 2-pounder
and universally known as the pom-pom, was a 40-millimetre British
autocannon used as an anti-aircraft gun by the Royal Navy. The name came
from the sound that the original models made when firing."

The two words, "pom-pom" and "pompon" were often confused in speech and,
once that the re-spelling of _pompon_ as "pom-pon," under the influence of
_pom-pom_, became accepted, it wasn't long - since the '50's, at least -
before the spelling, "pom-pom," began to replace the spelling,
"pom-pon"/"pompon."

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain