[Ads-l] Snasu (variant), was Re: Antedating of "Snafu" by Barry Popik

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 24 17:46:42 UTC 2020

Back in 2009, Garson O'Toole found the "snasu" variant in Time magazine,
Aug. 18, 1941.

---
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2009-December/094658.html
Citation: 1941 Aug. 18, National Defense: Problem of Morale, Time magazine.
Another outfit used another word as response to almost any question: Snasu
("Situation normal: all screwed up"). For the low state of Army morale was
merely brought into the open by the draft-extension bill.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,802126,00.html
---

As for the 1941 Google Books hit for "snafu," I assume that's the
appearance in the Sept. '41 issue of American Notes and Queries, as given
in OED2.

--bgz